Monday, September 13, 2010

The Kissing Hand

Hello,

Been a few days. I just haven't really had much time to write. But now I do!

I survived hell and back this morning. Or should I say, school with 4 kids and back? Basically the same thing, lol. We got there JUST in time. Abby was of no help. I hold Noah's hand, he holds her hand, and I push the stroller with the other. Thus creating a little chain. Well, Abby was messing up the flow. She was seriously going SO slow. Like, 1 footstep=1 inch slow. So I say " Abby, hurry up please!" she informs me " I not Abby, I patta-pillwer!" Apparently because she decided to be a caterpillar this morning, she couldn't possibly hurry. Why couldn't she be a butterfly this morning? Eh eh? Noooo. Had to be a patta-pillwer.

But we're home and relaxing now.

Noah is doing ok. He had a bit of a meltdown the other day. But we worked through it. I talked to his teacher. She says he's smart, and a good boy, but doesn't really want to stop doing activities sometimes when asked. She told him it was time to stop coloring, to do something else, and he got upset. He's an overachiever, what can I say! Nah, but really, I have that problem with him at home too. He is super smart, super loving, but I do admit he has a tendency to be a bit stubborn when he wants to continue doing whatever he's doing. Don't most kids though? So this weekend we worked on doing what he was told immediately.

He's a little resentful about his Perthes. He's actually been pretty damn good about the whole thing considering his whole way of life was just disrupted though. The thing I was upset about last time that I didn't want to mention until I got on the path to correcting the issue, was what they've had Noah doing at recess. They've had Noah sitting on the asphalt in the corner by himself playing with blocks alone, while the other kids play on the playground right in front of him. To me, this is not the answer. I understand that they're not entirely sure what to do with him, since they haven't had a kid with Perthes at the school before, but that isn't very fair or healthy for a 5 year old. When my son bites his lip so hard trying not to cry in front of people about being left out, it bleeds? There is something that needs to change. So I talked to the Vice Principal and at some point this week I'm going to sit down with her and the District Nurse to discuss alternative options. I don't want him being alienated. The blocks ARE better than, say, being sent to the library during recess. But he is not an invalid. He can still play with the other kids, he just has to be careful and monitored more closely.

Anyways. Speaking of school. I got my FIRST Kindergarten craft from him!!! I was so proud, lol. They read a book called 'The Kissing Hand'. Apparently in the book, the Mommy kisses her child's hand and when he misses her, he presses his hand to his cheek. So he made me a kissing hand. See? Isn't that cute??

Hmmm. Maybe I should tell her he can write his own name. lol. Speaking of. They're going to start learning letters. I had to tell her last week that he not only knows the entire alphabet, he can write it, and sound out the letters. She said that's good, because for now she can focus more on teaching him things like stopping coloring when he's told I just hope he doesn't get bored. Because we know what happens when kids his age are bored all the time. Maybe I'll request different activity sheets for him or something.

Well, the twins are good. I've been trying to get them back on schedule. I refuse to let them nap at all past a certain time. And if that means singing show tunes in a Fran Drescher voice to irritate them enough to keep them up, than that's what I'll do. Ok, I have been doing that already. They look at me like I have 4 heads and they want to punch me.

So...think I'm going to go have more coffee now. Cup number 3, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment